Eviction Notice: 5 Ways to Defend your Deportation Case

If you are about to be deported from the country, you know what a stressful situation this can be. Having to leave behind family, friends, and an entire life on very little notice can seem next to impossible. The good news is that if you find a good enough immigration lawyer who can represent you properly, you may not have to leave. There are several ways you can end up defending yourself against deportation. The following five are just a few of them. The one that is right for you will likely depend on your specific set of circumstances.

1. Adjustment of Status

If you happen to be married to a United States permanent resident or citizen or if you have had a petition filed for you by a family member, you may be able to directly apply for green card.

2. U-Visas

If you happen to be legally eligible for a Visa, you may be able to avoid deportation. Specifically, the U-Visa is for those who have victims of a given list of serious crimes that has caused them serious harm and have reported these crimes to the legal authorities and brought the perpetrators to justice.

3. Political Asylum

If you have a legitimate fear that you could be in danger if you go back to your home country, you may be able to stay in the United States on those grounds.

4. Cancellation of Removal for LPRs

If you are a green card holder who has been placed into removal proceedings, you may qualify for this option. In order to qualify, you have to have lived in the United States for a minimum of 7 years. Furthermore, five of those years being with a green card before committing any sort of crime or getting into the proceedings where you would be removed. Also, if you have to never have been convicted of an aggravated felony.

5. Cancellation of Removal for Non-LPRs

This is similar to the previous option, except it is for people who do not have green cards. It is harder to qualify for this option, as someone who does will have had to have lived in the United States for a minimum of 10 years and be able to prove that the deportation would cause “exceptional and extremely unusual hardship” to a family member who is either a permanent resident or a citizen.

If you need help in your immigration case, you should contact a qualified immigration attorney, such as the Law Office of Mayra L. Calo. The attorneys here will be able to figure out which type of defense applies best to your situation and help you in the best way possible, so feel free to contact the Law Office of Mayra L. Calo at your earliest convenience.